Children with special educational needs (SEN)

Special educational needs (SEN) that affect a child’s ability to learn can include their:

  • behaviour or ability to socialise, eg not being able to make friends
  • reading and writing, eg they have dyslexia
  • ability to understand things
  • concentration levels, eg they have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
  • physical needs or impairments

Who to talk to

If you think your child may have special educational needs, contact the ‘SEN co-ordinator’, or ‘SENCO’ in your child’s nursery or school.

Contact your local council if your child isn’t in a school or nursery.

Your local Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service can give you advice about SEN.

Support your child can receive

Your child may be eligible for: